• 6 May : ARISS contact to USA school !   1 week 1 day ago

The May 6, 2016 contact was successful and was the first one held in Rhode Island, USA. We had a large audience watching live: 160 people at the school, 250+ at the nearby church, and another 258 locations around the globe watching the live stream.

You can watch the 10 minute YouTube video -- https://youtu.be/oTkq5btNW_U -- as ISS astronaut Jeff Williams makes it through all 24 student questions.

Our small school's amateur radio station is N1ASA and we will be becoming more active as a satellite ground station.

Mike K1NPT

• Decoding software   1 week 3 days ago

Hi Mike

Amsat do a great job for satellite users but it takes a lot of effort to keep abreast of the times in modern day technology and software and the pace it's moving at.
    There's also plenty of help and information freely available via the internet from other sources now especially on here ISS Fan Club and also lots of good satellite operators with good knowledge willing to help from state-side too.
    Here is short clip screen capture i did back along of how TS-2000 hookup with Ham Radio Deluxe + Google Earth + UISS + Soundmodem APRS packet via the ISS digipeater would look like when it's running bearing in mind i was only using a 2m/70cms mobile antenna cable tied to my fence.
    As you can see from the clip we DON'T connect to the digipeater to send messages but just unproto packets from either of the buttons Text/data, Position, Message and MHeard

I can also work the ISS APRS with my Kenwood THD72 handheld using 5 watts into 2m telescopic antenna like today on a low 22 deg pass. So it's really not hard at all.

Always feel free to ask any questions up here sure others would help also.

• Decoding software   1 week 4 days ago

Thanks so much! We just had our radio club general meeting and a new ham was asking me how to transmit to the ISS. I told him it seeks you folks in England seem to be more helpful than AMSAT. A lot of beginners info on your version of amsat website. This just more or less justifies what I told him. Once again thank you so much.
    . 73's

. Mike / N8GBU

• Decoding software   1 week 4 days ago

Rather than go over old ground where others have had problems i will send you some links instead to start with.

For simple receive only of ISS APRS packet just connect a lead from from TS-2000 headphone socket to pc microphone-in socket. Tune to 145.825 FM on main radio screen and fully open the squelch so you hear static noise all the time. Run UISS and setup choose UZ7HO Soundmodem as packet engine then point the directory where it is located and tick both boxes for Auto Run and Auto Close, select LAN Setup and tick Enable, Host/IP 127.0.0.1, AGW LAN Port 8000, AGW RX Radioport 1 and same for TX radioPort. Close and reload the UISS to run-up Soundmodem. Choose Settings, Devices, Output and Imput device and PTT Port and fill in the correct details. Choose Modem settings and select Modem type ch.A VHF AX.25 1200bd and same again for Modem type ch.B. From the top menu put 1700 for both Ch A and Ch B + DCD slider nearly fully to the left and tick box to Hold pointers. You should now be able to see some signal on the waterfall. You can also try receiving from your local APRS packet frequency.

More info can be read here:

• Decoding software   1 week 4 days ago

Right now I'm not even thinking about transmitting to the space station I would just like to be able to receive it. I was up pretty much all night trying to figure things out with the software you sent a link to. The station made a couple passes and I could hear the aprs but not decode it. I also tried to see if I could some kind of reaction decoding the local aprs beacon. I have been. Setting my radio on USB as I do a lot of bpsk31 stuff I assumed. That was the the way to go but for some reason no matter what I do I can't receive or decode the signal. I can turn the volume up and down on the rig and it does effect the water fall. Any ideas??

• Decoding software   1 week 4 days ago

TS-2000 set to 145.825 FM preferably in split mode as to adjust for doppler TX/RX separately. ISS APRS packet digipeater is 145.825 MHz FM 1200 BPS uplink and downlink Path set to ARISS. It is NOT advised to try and connect to the ISS (RS0ISS-1) digipeater. Send APRS UNPROTO packets instead.
    Packet communication via ISS almost exclusively relies on using CONNECTIONLESS operation. The AX.25 protocol defines these types of packets as UI packets. An UI packet is pretty much transmitted out there for anyone and everyone to receive and copy. When stations transmit UI packets the AX.25 protocol will not be waiting for all of the handshake messages to complete – this very much simplifies the message exchange.

If you are going to use the UISS software which most users do then this will be done automatically. UISS also comes with Soundmodem which is a pc soundcard software interface and works very well and does not require the use of the inbuilt TS-2000 TNC so make sure that it switched off. You will need to allow for doppler shift either manaul adjustment, programmed into menu or software control.

Good luck!!

• Decoding software   1 week 4 days ago

Thank and yes it is well worth a donation. You may or may not be surprised of all the dead links for aprs software. What mode would Ai set my radio in to receive fsk,USB or fm? At this point I very happy I will hear from them. The last object in space I heard and decoded was the Dove satellite before it died.

• Tomsk Sat to be tested 5/10-08:00 to 5/11-16:00 UTC for Univ   1 week 5 days ago
    Re

Yes very strong signals on vhf via ISS 145.800 even on handhelds on low elevation passes but nothing heard on the the uhf frequency at all.
    Looking around the internet and other YouTube videos i could see others were monitoring the 437.025 FM frequency but can't see anyone else received eiher so must be very low milliwatts output power signal on that band.

• Tomsk Sat to be tested 5/10-08:00 to 5/11-16:00 UTC for Univ   1 week 6 days ago
    re

hi to all.... great signal by ISS in vhf...... but NONE in this 2 days test by the SATELLITE

in UHF band ! you heard signals on 437.025 MHz by the sat ? i nothing , you ????

best 73 de IW2BSF

Thanks so much! I appreciate the help. I woke up at 9:06 UTC this morning and was lucky enough to hear some chatter. Not the message loop but ARISS communicating with another HAM. I stated KE8DRY listening and was lucky enough to have the Station respond! I just got my call sign through at the end of the pass and I believe they asked me to restate my call sign, which I did not have time to do before the pass was over. It was still an amazing experience and am going to try again the next time I have a high altitude early morning pass. I am going to try again today at 3:36 UTC with another high altitude pass, hopefully this time I will get to say more than just my call sign! This has been a great experience for a new HAM. Again thanks for your help G7HCE!

This morning I heard the English greeting at 06:10 UTC and also worked the APRS packet digipeater in between transmissions with THD72 handheld 5 watts into 1/2 wave telescopic antenna and confirmed on ariss.net as shown in this video here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDjJ1_JaQ9w

My antenna has got no markings on it and had for a number of years now but is exactly the same as this MFJ-1714 LongRanger Telescopic Endfed Halfwave 2 Meter HT Antenna.
    The Long Ranger 2 Meter 1/2 wave. For long range this MFJ endfed 1/2 wave is hard to beat. Outperforms a 5/8 wave on an HT because the 5/8 wave needs a ground plane. It's shorter, lighter, has more gain and places less stress on your antenna connector. When collapsed it performs like a rubber duck (0 1/2"). 40" long when extended.

I use a SMA (wide base connector) to BNC-male connector the wider base giving more support when srewed into the radio. The antenna can be seen in the above video.

Hi Jon
    I also heard the Tomsk-120 via ISS 145.800 FM in English transmission at 06:10 UTC on Kenwood THD72 handheld which was great.
    Here is my recording. https://dl.dropbox.com/s/j99sbuul8g7nnhz/Tomsk-120.m4a?dl=0

I also worked the APRS packet digipeater in between transmissions with THD72 handheld 5 watts into 1/2 wave telescopic antenna and confirmed on ariss.net
    shown here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDjJ1_JaQ9w

Great transmission from the TOMSKsat via the ISS on 145.800MHz. I just heard the greetings transmission in English in my garden near Cambridge. 73 Jon G4NEY

What exactly did you hear? :)

• 9 May : ARISS contact to school in Devon - UK !   2 weeks 49 min ago

The final ARISS school contact of the Principia Mission took place on Monday, May 9 at 0926 GMT (10:26 am BST) between The King’s School GB1OSM in Ottery St Mary, Devon and Tim Peake GB1SS on the International Space Station. I recorded and uploaded a video of the online webcast contact complete with dashbord for HamTv/Goonhilly satellite dish shown passing south over the UK on a 62 deg pass in Google Earth travelling over Europe and ending in Italy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqDscnjZgcU

• Decoding software   2 weeks 1 hour ago

Hi Mike,
    ISS APRS packet is on 145.825 FM up/down worldwide. I also use the TS-2000 which is set in split mode RX on A-VFO (main band) and TX on B-VFO (sub band) with the second (sub) receiver turned off. This is controlled by free addition of HRD which has a satellite tracking software built in and fully compensates for doppler etc. and is available from here. http://www.iw5edi.com/software/ham-radio-deluxe-5-download-links you will either make you own leads as per user manual or buy online. I use programming and PTT interface leads from here https://radioarena.co.uk/programming-cables/kenwood/usb-cat-/-programmin....
    Free APRS packet software to work the ISS i use UISS by ON6MU download from here http://users.belgacom.net/hamradio/uissdownload.htm and it's well worth a small donation to register as there is a lot of work gone into it and also extra feature as well.

• Tomsk Sat to be tested 5/10-08:00 to 5/11-16:00 UTC for Univ   2 weeks 1 hour ago

Hi
    Sorry to hear you not heard it yet. I use halve wave telescopic antenna mounted on Kenwood TH-D72 handheld. Try holding the radio with the antenna either horizontal or pointing towards the ground and keep moving around to find best signal during the overhead passes. I use the same antenna to work the APRS on 145.825 on 5 watts even at the lower 25 deg passes. The antenna can be seen in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU7tuk-ZAiE

Tomsk-120 via ISS 145.800 is being swithced off a little earlier tomorrow morning at 10:05 UTC May 11

• Tomsk Sat to be tested 5/10-08:00 to 5/11-16:00 UTC for Univ   2 weeks 6 hours ago

SO Jealous... Heard the station for 30secs at 21* pass... heard nothing on 41* pass... I have a BaoFeng 8 Watt with a Nagoya NA-771 antenna... What antenna are you guys using for contact???

• Tomsk Sat to be tested 5/10-08:00 to 5/11-16:00 UTC for Univ   2 weeks 10 hours ago

Also heard it again at 10:14 UTC on low 22 deg pass south of me over europe but 10:17 UTC started speaking in english with Kenwood THD72 + 1/2 wave telescopic antenna. 08:38 UTC pass video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvIJFJPquFo

TOMSK operation time less due to Space X departure. Now 07:55 on May 10 until 10:05 UTC May 11. #ARISS Simulcast signal via ISS on 145.80.

Nothing heard over the Midwest on 8 watt hand held. Altitude was low... 41* at 12:25 today will check back then...

• Tomsk Sat to be tested 5/10-08:00 to 5/11-16:00 UTC for Univ   2 weeks 14 hours ago

Hi
    Heard Tomsk satellite onboard ISS over UK at 08:38 UTC on THD72 handheld

• Tomsk Sat to be tested 5/10-08:00 to 5/11-16:00 UTC for Univ   2 weeks 15 hours ago

Had to reply to your original comment because i kept getting a red warning box come up everytime i accessed this site which is now gone.

Nothing heard on the pass just gone over. Next pass in an hour.
    Will put station radio on 437.025 MHz FM and handheld on ISS 145.800 and see what happens.

We know about the SATELLITE is in UHF band!!

You have mis-read the post which says "VIA ISS on 145.80"

• Tomsk Sat to be tested 5/10-08:00 to 5/11-16:00 UTC for Univ   2 weeks 16 hours ago
    re

aal ok ! but i not try the output power of this cubesat ......

• Tomsk Sat to be tested 5/10-08:00 to 5/11-16:00 UTC for Univ   2 weeks 2 days ago

Yes absolutely and many thanks for pointing that out.

The greeting signal will be transmitted once a minute on 437.025 MHz FM. One of the Kenwood transceivers (TM D700) on the ISS will provide a cross-band relay, re-transmitting the signal on 145.800 MHz FM