• LINK Bugdet   1 day 17 hours ago

ISS VHF gear in the Columbus module consists of a 7 watt FM handheld radio.
    It is fed into a unity gain, 1/4 wave, linear antenna.

• LINK Bugdet   1 day 19 hours ago

To Eng.Yousra F.Noori,

What is your amateur radio callsign?
    I could not find your name related to a callsign in QRZ.com

73s Cor PD0RKC

• LINK Bugdet   1 day 21 hours ago

I use am rf only set up but intend to try to get my aprs station set up as a ground station connected to the internet.
    I do have it set up to relay rf stations heard that are close to my ground stations, sometimes I use my hand held vx8r yaesu inside and when I am out and about walking.
    My base set up is using nothing more then a hand held radio with 12 volt plug into it so it don't need the battery it is a Yaesu VX7 5 watts.
    I use a Argent Data systems OT2M with the connection with a pre made cable to connect the radio mic/speaker port to the OT2M.
    I have a y cable to split the com port so I can use the gps and connect the weather station. I have used it to test as a ground station putting a laptop in the place of the gps and setting it to use aprs software such as xastir or ui veiw to have it send to the appropriate aprs internet site.
    As for the antenna I am using a mobile antenna on an angled roof giving the mobile antenna a good look angle to the sky ,which works to copy ISS and get in and on the map of the aprs site as well as hear the aprs capable satellites from time to time when they are in range.
    To start you do not need much , even if it is a receive only ground station that can help having another ground station ,since there are not many ground stations even here in the United States, I do have a pre amp I can add in if they are just outside my range that helps receive but have not yet put the rf amp in line to increase power to 50 watts. Keep in mind there are a few satellites that use the same frequency as iss and high power can cause issues to other stations in its foot print especially of you are using a yagi or some type of directional antenna with high gain. I have done well with 5 watts and a mobile antenna out on the roof .
    I do plan to expand on my system soon. But to start look at the options of maybe using some of the sound card aprs options and plug into the audio port on the radio so at least see how it works with receive on what you have for equipment and watch the tracking of iss and it's foot print to see when you start hearing something. Maybe others will comment on some other possible options that will work for you and a cost effective method.

• I got this Packet message this morning   3 days 2 hours ago

Thank you, David.

This help a lot.

73, Karn

• I got this Packet message this morning   3 days 3 hours ago

Hi Karn,

Yes it's a beacon packet sent direct from the ISS (from RS0ISS). More info can be found at these sites.

73 David G7HCE

• No Activity - 301400CET August   3 days 14 hours ago

Hello N1NCB,

http://www.ariss.net/ works fine.
    Probably no igate stations (in USA) have picked up your digipeated beacon via ISS.
    ISS packet station with the Erricson transmit with low power.
    With your mobile mount antenna it is recommanded to use UISS with soundmodem software.
    Soundmodem decodes weak packet signals.

73s Cor PD0RKC

• No Activity - 301400CET August   3 days 22 hours ago

I heard it last pass over near to in range of Maine on 145.825
    I was able to beacon to it and it heard my station but noticed it is not showing up on the ariss.net web page and it is not updating stations heard.
    I also checked aprs.he.fi and it's not updating the info and time and date heard.
    It is showing old data.
    Got one more good pass of ISS this morning will see what happens then.
    I only run a 5 watt hand held and a mobile mount antenna on an angle on my roof.
    Glad they are back on line.

• No Activity - 301400CET August   3 days 23 hours ago

ISS heard and worked 1:10 UTC September 1 from Winterville, North Carolina.

• ISS Radio Report 40037   4 days 22 hours ago

I wonder if they shut the aprs radio off due to a change in crew.
    It was Aug 29th that they were getting ready for a change of crew
    Not sure if that took place yet or not? Hopefully they will be back on the air soon. As every pass close to my location was quiet nothing on any of the ham frequencies.
    N1NCB

• APRS Tracking   5 days 1 hour ago

I'm sure someone will correct me on this, but, I believe that the circles are particular zones with APRS stations recorded. I see these when I zoom out to far on the map as there are too many stations to display without cluttering the map. As I zoom the circles either get smaller or disappear and are replaced with actual stations.

If you're seeing numbers in the circles (the number of stations within that zone), then that is probably what you see.

Hope this helps.

DA1VF/Floyd (US: WD8DUP)

• Yaesu FT-847 Packet-Radio with ISS   5 days 1 hour ago

Went through ur website yesterday (30 Aug) and found it really good. Today, however, I get the dreaded error "403 - Forbidden":

"Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

Updating the site maybe??

Tks

DA1VF/Floyd (US: WD8DUP)

• ISS QSL manager   5 days 20 hours ago

I have tried it again to contact F1MOJ and now I got my QSL from 2008.
    Seems, that the eMail in QRZ.com is not OK.
    Only http://www.ariss-eu.org/qslbureau.htm workes good.

Peter
    DF7DQ

• Yaesu FT-847 Packet-Radio with ISS   5 days 21 hours ago

Hi,

Here we are... All software tutorials are online !

Next coming : How to build the best QFH aerial of the world for NOAA satellite reception like mine. It is allowing less than 4° elevation reception... without any speckle (See pictures in "Photos" area).

Stay tune and subscribe to the newsletter.

David.

• Yaesu FT-847 Packet-Radio with ISS   1 week 2 hours ago

Hi James,

Many thanks for your message which is the first and only one from ISS Fan Club which encourage me to carry on my work. I've sent many mails to the managers of great Sites but I still get no answer from them.

Fortunately for me, I can measure the interest for my site thanks to the number of visits which strongly increase... more than 700 in less than a week...

I agree with your wishes but you can't imagine how long it takes to make all this tutorials... and my first goal is to help people to install the specific HAM Softwares that I use under Linux because nobody has made that before. For configuration we can find help on the Web. I think it could be nice to centralize all informations in my site to avoid browsing many others but I don't want to remake works that has already be done at this moment since I have no time for. But I note your wishes and perhaps in a few months I'll publish some additional help with configuration tutorials.

At this moment, I've to translate HAM RADIO DELUXE setup in English and make the QSSTV tutorial... After that, all the HAM Software that I use will have their dedicated tutorial.

For the beacon automation, I don't have a solution yet... And it is not very good because when a station has been heard, it is nice to know this was a person and not only a computer ;-)

One more time, thanks for your support James, I very appreciate this first encouragement message !

David.

• ISS QSL manager   1 week 18 hours ago

Hello Danny,

Yes ARISS managers send out ISS QSL cards after you send your QSL card filled in with all details include
    this with SASE.
    Not sure how the rules are for return compensation, maybe you can put an USA stamp on the sase or a few $.
    Above the issfanclub website you see a button QSL to see the ARISS QSL managers addresses!

73s Cor PD0RKC

• ISS QSL manager   1 week 22 hours ago
    QSL

Does anyone know if they will send QSL for receiving from ISS? I got good reception from a Russian Cosmonaut describing a beautiful view of Earth :)

Danny KM4LMH

• 24 august ARISS contact with switzerland school !   1 week 1 day ago

IO91SK using Yaesu 857d and small white stick vertical

• ISS contact for Fleurance Astronomy Festival, France.   1 week 1 day ago

I recorded this contact from IO91SK In the UK
    Used a yaesu 857d and just a small white stic vertical

• ISS Radio Report 40016   1 week 1 day ago

Hello I totally missed this one.
    Did anyone take a recording they could share with me?

Best 73

James M0JFP / KG7EFV

• Yaesu FT-847 Packet-Radio with ISS   1 week 1 day ago

Hi David,

I just took a look at the web site, looks very good. Very nice pictures

I would really like to see even further steps including the configuration of UISS and how it works.

Same with the other software.

Is there a way to combine the ISS prediction of a pass software to transmit a beacon (call sign and aprs location) at that time.

You can then see your attempt logged at ariss.net and also your position on aprs.fi

Keep up the good work and THANKYOU

James / M0JFP / KG7EFV

• ISS Radio Report 40016   1 week 1 day ago

What you heard was Japanese astronaut Kimya Yui talking to students at the Maconaquah School Corporation in Bunker Hill, Indiana.

• 24 august ARISS contact with switzerland school !   1 week 4 days ago

The pass over the UK was not great I think, I did not hear a great deal and the contact was quiet. The last one for me was much much clearer. Looking forward to see what anyone else got from their home.

Cheers

James

• 24 august ARISS contact with switzerland school !   1 week 5 days ago

Hi James

The time for the schedule contact is 1224-UTC. The time on the video stream is an hour early for the delegates to conduct their speeches on the lead up to the contact.

73 David G7HCE

• 24 august ARISS contact with switzerland school !   1 week 5 days ago

**looking at the times in the last post they are an hour out.. will try again at 1:23 GMT+1!!!***

Thanks

james / 2e1avx / m0jfp / kg7efv

• 24 august ARISS contact with switzerland school !   1 week 5 days ago

This contact is being livestreamed at https://youtu.be/BRj-H_QNhyI