• What do you like more, Packet or Repeater?   10 years 10 weeks ago

I like them both, why can't both be utilized in an alternating fasion.

• web site ?   10 years 10 weeks ago

Unfortunately It was the site.
    Just imagine that the whole thing plus a database and spam filtered MTA runs on a virtual 100 MHz CPU with only 64 MB of ram. That's one of the cheapest solutions on the market.
    The site is mantained only during my spare time... which is not too much.
    Any kind of help is appreciated.
    Sorry for any inconvenience. Me and Claudio are thinking about how to improve this service.

Alain

• web site ?   10 years 10 weeks ago

i have been havin trouble getting the site to come up now and then ,, i have been woundering , is it me or the site ? ,, i hope all goes well anyways , i realy like the site , thanks ,,, from k6mox ,, jim

• DELAY DELAY DELAY   10 years 10 weeks ago

It appears that the interference or squelch issue is back. I will try and check on the latter but can do nothing about the former.

• ARISS Event -- University of Cork, Ireland   10 years 11 weeks ago

Contact sucessful with all 10 questions answered by Leroy. Congrats to the students!

• merry chrystmas   10 years 12 weeks ago

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

marry christmas and happy new 2005 to you and to all issfanclub 's members and to all ham every where on the globe or at the international space ship .iss

73 de st2nh

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

• TNC?   10 years 12 weeks ago

hello
    kpc3 is agood cool tnc for iss
    :roll:
    good luck
    de st2nh

• The Rascal?   10 years 12 weeks ago

Thanks, guys but it's a moot point now since I do not have a compatible sound card in my crappy old laptop...If I did, it would've been very cool. I get 6-8 passes a day from the ISS and just listening to the packet is driving me absolutely NUTS.
    73 and Happy Holidays
    WB2SYK

• The Rascal?   10 years 12 weeks ago

I like mine, it works great.

• TNC?   10 years 12 weeks ago

Hello everyone, and Happy Holidays to all,
    Since I do not have a Sound Blaster or compatible sound card in my laptop, I guess I will have to purchase a TNC. I am curious what TNCs guys here are using and getting good results with, so I get the right one and don't screw up again, and if someone has one for sale, that would be even better. I am getting awfully antsy listening to the shuttle go over my QTH 6X per day and not able to do anything.

Any help will be appreciated.
    73 and Thanks in advance,

Jeff WB2SYK

• Leroy Chiao active on voice   10 years 12 weeks ago

This QSO took place at 2025 UTC on 09 Dec.
    To hear the audio file I made, go to www.qsl.net/wa6lie The file will automatically open within your browser, as long as you support .wma files. It may take several minutes before you hear anything.

73, Scott WA6LIE

• The Rascal?   10 years 13 weeks ago

Thanks Brian...appreciate the help.

JK

• The Rascal?   10 years 13 weeks ago

I have some experience with the Rascal kit. I found it to be very worthwhile, being new to ham radio and having a limited budget one cannot buy all the toys at once.
    I built the kit in a couple of hours, (ex USAF electronics tech) had one cold solder joint that gave me problems, but once that was repaired it worked great too.
    "Terrestrial" Packet is not to big here in SD so have limited experience with it, but Rascal works ISS and PCSat with APRS/Packet just fine as well as normal earth APRS.
    Also works well with ECHOLINK for me, and everything else I have tried with it.

Now that I think about it, probably one of the best 30 bucks + S/H I have spent. I have learned lots from it at a great price. AND I am still learning and playing. So this kids been amused for hours and days, too bad my parents didn't get me one!!!!

I suppose It depends what you want to do with it. I so some traveling in my work and its small enough to take with and attach to work laptop. Another bonus.

Just my 2 cents, one on the plus side, I am sure you will hear the downside.

KC0RWZ
    Brian

• iss packet dxer   10 years 13 weeks ago

tnx again n5vho for replying
    i hope issfanclub thinking about an aword of store and forword paket mode for iss !!!!!
    8O
    i hope my next packet message wll be like this

w all
    subject
    iss dxer award
    message
    name=
    qth=
    utc=
    i got 5 iss S+F countrries qsos
    hope u got more pse reply
    73's de st2nh

anyhow i wll start collecting countries and i wll start sending message for the iss dxer award hi hi

all the best de st2nh

• iss packet dxer   10 years 13 weeks ago

I think that most awards are for direct contacts only. I'm not aware of any that are permitted in a store and forward manner (check the rules to be sure). Many don't allow contacts via repeaters but they waive that for satellite operations as long as they occur in real time. Saying 'Hello' on one pass and getting a reply on the next doesn't count.

• iss packet dxer   10 years 13 weeks ago

tnx N5VHO
    what i meant a qso via packet mode (store and forward )
    in other word if i got a reply to my messages from a 100 stations(conutries) can this conceder as dxcc qsos ??? :oops: :oops:

• iss packet dxer   10 years 13 weeks ago
    Getting Satellite DXCC via ISS packet (or any mode) is permitted but very difficult considering the size of the station's foot print. If you have 100 DXCC entities within about 1200 miles of your QTH then it should be possible. For more info on ARRL DXCC check this link: [url]http://www.arrl.org/awards/dxcc/[/url] Several easier awards to get are the AMSAT awards for making 1, 20, 60 and 100 contacts via satellites. Check this link for more info [url]http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/awards/[/url] I personally have reached the AMSAT Sexagesimal award level and am trying for Century using just ISS. I also have the ARRL VUCC satellite award for working 100 grid squares via ISS. ISS Fan club also has a [b:70b1946679]very nice[/b:70b1946679] certificate for working the various modes on ISS.
  • signalink tnc   10 years 13 weeks ago

I also, am having a problem with this packet stuff. I downloaded Packet Engine (SV2AGW) and also UISS and I am unsure how to proceed further. If someone with more expertise than I has a minute, I would be most grateful for a few minutes of time.

Thanks in advance,

WB2SYK Jeff Syracuse NY

• Voice/Repeater Up?   10 years 13 weeks ago
    The voice repeater is currently not activated. The contact you heard was in fact a scheduled school contact. Info about these events are normally posted to the SAREX reflector [url]http://www.amsat.org/amsat/archive/sarex/48hour/threads.html[/url]. For the near term, packet is the default operation. The voice repeater is not currently schedule to be activated and voice contacts with the crew are random events based on crew availability. If you are set up to transmit on 144.49 (region 2&3) and RX on 145.80 then you are ready for a voice contact. For packet operations, TX on 145.99 and RX on 145.80 For Repeater operations TX on 437.800 and RX 145.80 Check the upper right corner of ISS Fan Club for latest postings on these modes.
  • School contact Tuesday (Nov 30)   10 years 13 weeks ago

:) Well my callsign is VE2AHD and as a member of the Amateur Radio
    Club of Sorel-Tracy and having participated to this event as a tracking
    officer of the ISS during this session let me tell you that it was a realy
    a great event for the students even if we do not made it at 100%, in fact
    at the beginning of the session the ISS was still in the Packet Repeater
    mode and we have lost the first 4 minutes of our window anyway 4 of
    our student had the chance to ask their questions and listen to Leroy's
    answers, the image of the faces of these students will stay in my mind
    for many years so thanks to NASA and the project ARISS.
    Best 73!
    Jean-Pierre

• Amazing!!!   10 years 13 weeks ago

Hi Guys,

Am new here...just joined today. Was licensed 30 years ago, but just got back into Ham Radio, as I thought my family may find it fun to talk to the Space Station.

In any event, we just got back from FL and took a tour of KSC...a very cool tidbit that our tour guide told us was that when the ISS is finished in a few years, it will be the only object in the sky except for the sun and moon that is visible in the DAYTIME...

very cool.

WB2SYK

• What kind of radio   10 years 13 weeks ago

this is a great forum with great info tnx all

• Doppler-Effect   10 years 13 weeks ago

Where can I find a site that has a freeware for computer doppler shifing???

• Voice Contact in Africa ?   10 years 14 weeks ago
    [quote:88101fc071="N5VHO"]I not aware of any voice contacts with West Africa. ISS has had school contacts with South Africa and several crewmembers have talked to operators in Africa but I just don't know specifically for West Africa. When the crew is active, you have as good a chance as any (maybe better since you won't have to compete with too many others). This site is a great source for keeping up with the latest activities and increasing your chances of having a contact.[/quote:88101fc071] Hi Keneth.. Tks so much for reply... I know... no more contact with west africa yet ;) So it will be great to study a possible contact with a school in Senegal or other "quite" country ? I like this site... congratulation to Iss Fan Club Crew ! hi !
  • Doppler-Effect   10 years 14 weeks ago