• Min. equipment to work over ISS   10 years 48 weeks ago

Hi!

Minimum equipment... I talked to Bill McArthur last month with an IC-T7H (6W) and a large 2m/70cm telescoping whip while standing outside my office. Timing is everything, if there are stations with stronger signals the low-power signals won't make it, but using a smaller setup *can* work.

For the cross-band repeater last week, I used an IC-W32A HT with an Arrow handheld 2m/70cm Yagi. Harder to work, with the Doppler shift on the transmit signal, but I was able to get 4 QSOs in 3 nights through there and hear myself in the process. My wife has the satellite station at her classroom, so I do this with the portable/QRP gear.

Good luck and 73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK - Phoenix, Arizona USA

• Min. equipment to work over ISS   10 years 48 weeks ago

PD0RKC told me that i can make QSO with Slim Jim antenna and Alinco DJ-G1 (5watta).Good news for me ;)
    I will try on next voice mode pass ;)

• Min. equipment to work over ISS   10 years 48 weeks ago

Hello!

Many thanks everybody for your answers! So needs a little bit more time to do my first qso...

73´s
    Patrick / DO2NPG

• Difficulty with last few passes   10 years 48 weeks ago

Not sure why, I had to perform a complete "full Reset" of my portable. After this was completed it seemed to return to service. Very Strange I am going to try the 4:10 PM EST pass this afternoon. Thanks for the help.

Best Regards

Steve
    KE4NAK

• Min. equipment to work over ISS   10 years 48 weeks ago

Hello DO2NPG,

On europe it's very busy with hams trieing ISS.
    Do not forget the ISS can monitor direct 4000km
    earia on earth.
    So do not use your vertical!
    Trie your crossyagi, better to install it
    with a bit elevation (20 or 30 degrees).
    I also use a cross yagi and I have a coax
    switch to switch polarisation, so I can check
    the strongest signal (ISS polarisation chance
    a lot!).

Good luck!

ISS info: http://pd0rkc.ontwikkel.nl

• ISS audio recordings!   10 years 48 weeks ago

G'day Cor, I have another recording for the collections, I will email you in a couple of days mate. I am run of my feet just now. :-) Catcha soon, Kevin, VK3UKF.

• Min. equipment to work over ISS   10 years 48 weeks ago

G'day Patrick, I have a measley old 10 watts out the stick, the stick is a 5/8 mobile whip for 2m VHF, as used on an automobile. It works for me most of the time, but could be better. Cheers and good luck mate, Kevin, VK3UKF.

• Difficulty with last few passes   10 years 48 weeks ago

Hi mate, first thoughts should be the simple overlooked ones, check your TX freq with meter, and if you work on local APRS then you should be cookin' mate. Have a PWR/VSWR meter on when txing, AM I TXING???? I don't know what you have checked, but I usually, have to bang myself on the forehead after discovering the prob..... Kev in Oz, VK3UKF.

• Bad news: IFC database rollback   10 years 48 weeks ago

Thanks Alain, you were quick to fix, minimal loss suffered, Happy New Year to you and yours, mate. Kevin VK3UKF.

• Difficulty with last few passes   10 years 48 weeks ago

Well I am unable to get into the local APRS System either! I am checking and double checking but don't see where the error is.? The only change I made recently was using the MCP-D7G Computer program and cable for some changes. However I have looked it all over and followed the trouble shooting but still no luck, working away at it. Any ideas.? I receive just fine no problems it's the TX side is the problem

Best Regards

Stephen

• Bad news: IFC database rollback   10 years 48 weeks ago

alain at alain dot it
    73's

• Difficulty with last few passes   10 years 48 weeks ago

Hi!

N5VHO said:

I should warn you that ISS is in a less than ideal orientation so that may be the biggest problem. I was able to get in with 5 watts into an arrow antenna during a 78 degree pass so ISS packet is working as of 2217 UTC on Jan 2.

And I finally got a packet through on the next pass after Kenneth's, between 2351 and 2359 UTC using 5 watts from an HT into a 2m eggbeater. I sat outside with the laptop and TNC and decided to try it out. I've got work to do, but at least the old packet stuff still works.

73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK

• Difficulty with last few passes   10 years 48 weeks ago

A few more details might help with a solution. Are you able to get into the local APRS network? What kind of antenna are you using? What is your packet path set to? Did you check the uplink frequency?

• SSTV   10 years 48 weeks ago

Robot 36 takes 36 seconds to transmit an image. If the image is transmitted on 2 meters, the Doppler effect would be minimal.

If the image is transmitted on 70 centimeters, then the beginning and end of the pass would have less doppler and the middle (or time of closest approach) would see the greatest effect and would require the most compensation to maintain a signal in the band pass of the receiver. The higher the pass, the greater the change in frequency vs time towards the middle of the pass.

SuitSat will be half a watt on 2 meters (145.99 MHz) so having a gain receive antenna will be your best bet. ISS SSTV will likely be on 2 meters to minimize the doppler issues.

• SSTV   10 years 48 weeks ago

Hello KD4PQF,

You talk about how bad doppler effects would be...
    Please can you explain that to me?

73's Cor PD0RKC

• Beaconing   10 years 48 weeks ago

The only color change is Green for RX and Red for TX.

• Bad news: IFC database rollback   10 years 48 weeks ago

Is that why the account that I opened in the past 24 hours "disappeared into the vast ether"? (Obviously I re-registered). I was hoping I hadn't been kicked off for asking a newbie question! :wink:
    BTW - do you have a PM or email?

• Beaconing   10 years 48 weeks ago

Thanks! I'll try it today. BTW - will I see the change in colour of the light to indicate tx (like on APRS) or is that only for voice & APRS?

• ARISS Event - 25th Asia Pacific Scout Jamboree Sat Dec 31 at 09:15 UTC   10 years 48 weeks ago
  • Beaconing   10 years 48 weeks ago

If "PACKET" is showing then you have it set up to be controlled by a computer. Press TNC 2 times and it should first turn off the TNC then the second press will activate the TNC for internal use. Your display should have the TNC and box without the word packet next to it.

Pressing BCON will then cause the radio to transmit (as long as the squelch is not open).

Audio file available on AMSAT and JK1ZRW of EchoLink conference server.

Also you can listen on http://jk1zrw.dyndns.org/25apj.html.en .

73 de Satoshi 7M3TJZ

• APRS-Winlink-Echolink MapServer   10 years 48 weeks ago

nice sites.
    Congratulations

• ISS Frequency Question   10 years 48 weeks ago

dont be surprised when you dont pass.
    Sometimes the repeater is so crowded that unless you have a kW amplifier or a EME-like antenna its just impossible to use it even if you do everything correctly.

• ISS Frequency Question   10 years 48 weeks ago

Hi kc9dgb have you tried using ham radio deluxe to correct for Doppler shift, I also have a ts-2000 and are using HRD to correct the Doppler

• Fan Club Member List   10 years 48 weeks ago

There was such a list somewhere a year or so ago.
    I used it to see the members. I don't know where
    the list was. I don't have a link to it anymore.

73 Harry