• fm voice   18 weeks 3 days ago

I heard SO50 on my hand held today when it was at its highest 45 degrees. I could hear someone but too much static to make him out. But its a start.

Ed

• My Packet Set Up...YouTube   18 weeks 4 days ago

Hello Hubert,

Normaly I use my old shack pc but now I have tried soundmodem with UISS on my laptop and noticed the same
    problem that UISS could not find AGW while soundmodem was already running first.
    Yes UISS can run without AGW.

This what you should do:
    Start UISS go to Setup--->UISS---->LAN
    Select Enable LAN mode.

Now close UISS and start soundmodem first and than UISS.
    Now it should run without any message missing AGW.
    Let me now if this works.

Cor PD0RKC

• fm voice   18 weeks 4 days ago

Its been a long time that I have worked over the amateur radio satellites.
    A lot FM birds died in the past also the popular AO51.
    You might try the SO50 that is an FM bird.
    67hz tone needed on your TX uplink signal.

73s Cor PD0RKC

• My Packet Set Up...YouTube   18 weeks 4 days ago

God afternoon Cor,

Thank you for your instructions above on setting up soundmodem correctly.

I have that up and running well (it seems) not decoding ISS yet, as no passes are available at this time, but correctly decoding surrounding ham operators' packet and APRS messages (mainly).
    My problem is that if I want to run UISS it keeps on popping me the following message '' RUNNING WITHOUT AGW PACKET ENGINE DETECTED!'' UISS is supposed to run with soundmodem but I can't seem to find the proper setting to do so in either one of the two software ... I start Soundmodem first as I have seen a suggestion somewhere, but no results.
    I you have a moment, would you be kind enough to supply me with some hints on where to go and what to do to finally have UISS to work with soundmodem.

Thanking you in advance for your much appreciated help on this.

Cordially,

Hubert VE2LMH (ve2lmh@yahoo.ca)

• Callsign   18 weeks 4 days ago

I have accidentally erased a post, my sincere apologies to the poster.

Callsigns used on the ISS:
    NA1SS (US)
    RS0ISS (Russia)
    DP0ISS (Germany)
    OR4ISS (Belgium)
    PI9ISS (Used during André Kuipers' stay aboard the ISS, obsolete for now)
    IR0ISS (Italy)

• fm voice   18 weeks 4 days ago

PD0RKC Thank you for the sites. on dk3wn.info site which satellites function as fm repeaters ? I'm having a hard time deciphering the codes. no cw please , just fm voice.

• fm voice   18 weeks 5 days ago

Hello Ed,

Information about active amateur radio satellites can be found on:

Many satellites have low power so I think the egg beaters will give a dissapointment result.
    I would "recommand" you to use yagis!
    Maybe you also can find small dualband yagis on one boom (like the arrows antenna).
    To save money you can choose for "only" a cheap azimuth rotator and put the
    yagis with 35 degrees fixed elevation on a horizontal pipe.

73s Cor PD0RKC

• ISS Radio Report   18 weeks 5 days ago

test

• fm voice   18 weeks 5 days ago

Thanks for all the kind comments. I am planning on building a uhf eggbeater to go with the 2 meter one so I can work the repeater also if it is used later. In the mean time I need to find a list of working voice birds to try and work.

Ed K4ECE

• fm voice   19 weeks 16 hours ago

tnx cor
    73 kb1iai

• My Packet Set Up...YouTube   19 weeks 19 hours ago

No AGW becomes redundant when running UZ7HO modem with UISS.

Marc, PD4U

• fm voice   19 weeks 21 hours ago

Hello Paul,

To avoid dissapointments making a sked via twitter is like winning with 1 lot in the lottery.
    Long time agoo when Samantha Cristoforetti was in training for astronaut I have
    asked her via twitter if she would do random contacts via amateur radio from ISS.
    Her reply was short: I think so.
    Now she is in ISS a lot (non hams) twitter messages people send daily to her.
    So you must have luck if your tweet will be readed and answered.
    And it depends on her interest she is verry busy with her daily work tasks and she like to do other activities in her spare time as
    you can see on her twitter page.
    You and your friends should send tweets its worth to try but no garentee!!!
    Samantha is the only aboard who has a amateur license.
    We where lucky with Andre Kuipers and Luca Parmitano in the past they did anounced ham radio activities on their twitter page.
    They also replied (from ISS) to a "few" tweets from amateur radio operators,

73s Cor PD0RKC

• fm voice   19 weeks 22 hours ago

cor do you have their twitter info??
    on january 24 they will be directly over head of me and my friends in mercer county pa and we would like to sched a contact.
    tnx for any help
    73 paul kb1iai

• New Youtube Video - UISS and Soundmodem - Thanks Cor   19 weeks 1 day ago

Cor,
    Info updated in youtube description

Loon
    W3MAT

• New Youtube Video - UISS and Soundmodem - Thanks Cor   19 weeks 1 day ago

Hello Joon,

You doing very good with the vertical J pole antenna.
    I hope (later) you can make again a youtube video when you get
    familiar with the doppler effect with a good high elevation pass.
    And please also equipment & antenna information the youtube text.
    So I can use your video to encourage others wich receive less than you.

73s Cor PD0RKC

• New Youtube Video - UISS and Soundmodem - Thanks Cor   19 weeks 1 day ago

Programming the three channels now Cor.

The antenna is an omni-direction J-Pole I built myself and it's up about 20 feet.
    I know it's not the optimal antenna to get the job done, but it works. I want to eventually
    get something that's circularly polarized out there.

Loon
    W3MAT

• New Youtube Video - UISS and Soundmodem - Thanks Cor   19 weeks 1 day ago

Hello Loon,

I saw your new youtube video and this shows me your soundmodem
    software does decode weaker beacons in comparisation with AGW from your older youtube video!
    Do "NOT" use the squelch on your radio!
    If you correct the frequency because of the doppler effect you will decode (RX) more ISS packet-aprs frames.
    And also your TX beacons arrive better in the ISS Erricson radio with less distortion!
    Really worth to try!
    Program 3 SPLIT frequenties in the memory channels of your Icom IC746Pro.
    Memory channel 1
    TX: 145.823Mhz RX: 145.828Mhz
    Memory channel 2
    TX: 145.800Mhz RX: 145.800Mhz
    Memory channel 3
    TX: 145.828Mhz RX: 145.823Mhz

For a 10 minutes ISS pass.
    ISS just in range (AOS) use memory channel 1
    After 3 minutes go to memory channel 2
    After 4 minutes go to memory channel 3

The ISS pass:
    AOS-MEM1<------------MEM2----W3MAT_QTH-----MEM3------------>LOS
    This you must do while looking the ISS position on the tracker website!

And can you tell what antenna (and ant height) you use for ISS?

73s Cor PD0RKC

• New Youtube Video - UISS and Soundmodem - Thanks Cor   19 weeks 2 days ago

Just had a 9 degree pass to my west, here are the stations heard; WA6YET, N0AN-6, KB0WLF, KD0UHS, KD0KZE, WH6CZU, RS0ISS, WB9YIG, N4ZQ, K3SV, XE3ISS

• My Packet Set Up...YouTube   19 weeks 2 days ago

Do I also have to run with AGW Packet engine, or do I have to do some settings updates in UISS?

Submitted by W3MAT on Tue, 2015-01-13 13:23.

• My Packet Set Up...YouTube   19 weeks 2 days ago

Hello Loon,

I see you use N2YO.com tracker.
    http://www.isstracker.com/ has a footprint!
    Good luck.

Cor PD0RKC

• My Packet Set Up...YouTube   19 weeks 2 days ago

• My Packet Set Up...YouTube   19 weeks 3 days ago

Ok, I have it all set up. There are no more passes today, but I will run it on the first pass tomorrow and let you know how it works.

Thanks for all your help, I'll keep in touch

Loon
    W3MAT

• My Packet Set Up...YouTube   19 weeks 3 days ago

Hi Loon,

Its a pitty you stopped with soundmodem, keep trying once you use soundmodem you never use AGW again (hi!).
    Believe me you decode much more packet-aprs frames from ISS.
    Be sure you use this version: http://uz7.ho.ua/modem_beta/sm2ch69.zip

Be sure you receive 1200baud.
    Go to Settings--->Modem---->Modem type ch-A 1200baud Modem type ch-B 1200 baud.
    On the main Soundmodem screen CH A 1700 CH B 1700
    Keep these settings and do "NOT" move the bar left or right (in the waterfall).

And another importand setting:
    Settings ---> select 6dB Pre-Emphasis filter (both sides in A and B window).

Now try to receive packet-aprs from ISS only with soundmodem.
    If that works run also the UISS software.

If you try let us know about the results.

73s Cor PD0RKC

• My Packet Set Up...YouTube   19 weeks 3 days ago

Yes, I am using AGW and UISS. One day it will receive well, 7,8,9 stations (as you can see by my posts to the ISS Fan Page) and then other days only 1 or 2. This is noticed when passes are of similar degrees. I am using an Icom746PRO, FM-D (digital) and have it set on filter 1, although, I find that filter 2 (10k) seems to have "louder" packet bursts than filter 1 ... AGC F ... pre amp on ... no noise reductions...NR, NB, Notch, etc. Still one day seems better than another. My antenna is a J-Pole and I do much better on passes 15-60 degrees. If the ISS is overhead, like the 88 degree pass here tomorrow, I'm screwed. I don't know what to do to make UISS receive any better and decode more bursts.

I did download soundmodem...switched to 14070.15 and seen PSK signals on the waterfall... sound card must be set up right, but when trying to receive packet from the station... nothing. Yes, I had the "marks" around where the lines were showing up on the waterfall. I since removed it from my computer.

So, there ya have it. What else can I do, other than get a directional antenna, rotors, etc, to receive any better with my current set up? Suggestions welcome.

Loon
    W3MAT

• What am I doing wrong ?   19 weeks 3 days ago

It appears you are trying to W(rite) but there is no W in the list of commands for the PacComm TNC on the ISS.
    CMD(B/H/J/K/KM/L/M/R/S/SB/SP/ST/SR/V/?)>

The "W" command was for the Kenwood BBS. I think what you need is to start with S(end) CALLSIGN to begin your command to start a message.

Kenneth - N5VHO